Have Medicare? Yes.
Live in the United States? Yes.
Make less than $1,108 a month if you are single, or less than $2,215 as a couple? Yes.
You may qualify for SOCIAL SECURITY EXTRA HELP with your Medicare Prescription drug plan costs!
What is Social Security Extra Help?
If you have limited resources and income, you may qualify for Extra Help with the costs - monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription co-payments related to a Medicare prescription drug plan.
What happens if you qualify?
After you are accepted into the Extra Help program ALL of your prescription costs will be as follows:
Brand Name Drug Co-Pay Amounts of $3-$6
Generic Drug Co-Pay Amounts of $1-$3
The average Extra Help participant saves about $4,000 per year on their prescription medications. If you qualify for Extra Help with your Medicare prescription drug plan costs, Social Security may contact you periodically to review your status and verify your eligibility.
Who is eligible to apply for the Extra Help?
You should apply for the Social Security Extra Help Program if:
- You have Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance); and
- You live in one of the 50 States or the District of Columbia; and
- Your combined savings, investments and real estate are not worth more than $26,850, if you are married/living with your spouse, or $13,300 if you are single. (Do NOT count your home, vehicles, personal possessions, life insurance, burial plots, irrevocable burial contracts or back payments from Social Security or SSI).
Who is NOT eligble to apply for the Extra Help?
- Anyone who is not enrolled in Medicare
- Anyone who has Medicare AND Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare AND Medicaid, should not apply for this program because you automatically already get the Extra Help.
How do I apply for the Extra Help?
To get the Extra Help you must complete and submit Social Security's Application for Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs (SSA-1020).
You can apply online at www.socialsecurity.gov/extrahelp , call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 to request an application or apply over the phone, apply at your local Social Security office or contact the Physicians Circle for Patients (PCP), who will assign an eligibility specialist to work with you through the application process. You may call PCP at (706) 208-9700, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to our Patient Page to begin the application process.
What information will you need?
To determine your eligibility for Extra Help, Social Security needs information about you and your spouse's (if applicable) income and resources. Some documents that may help you prepare include your Social Security Card, Bank Account Statements (including checking, savings and CD's), IRA's, stocks, bonds, mutual funds or other investment statements, tax returns, payroll slips, or your most recent Social Security Benefits Letter.
PCP works in full cooperation with all area government and assistance organizations. If you have addional information on Social Security Extra Help, please email us at email@example.com. We would love to hear from you!